Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy 1st Birthday!! (A.K.A. requisite Cake on Face entry)

Can you believe it? One already! And what a year it's been.




















Ella's vocabulary is all of two words, Gidget and Jakey. "Jakey" seems to cover both dogs and "Gidget" any living nonhuman. That includes birds, strange dogs and even the occasional (yes, nonliving) airplane. Last week someone asked where Gidget was and she pointed to the the cat. Today I asked her where Daddy was, she looked over her shoulder at Rob and then turned to me with this look that said "I'm not here for your amusement, if you don't know who your husband is then it's not my problem." Apparently Gidget is the only member of the household worthy of a point.

She's quite adept at crawling. If I make any move to chase her she moves double time. Climbing the stairs seems to be her favorite activity. As for the walking, she isn't quite there yet. Earlier last week I promised her a car for her 16th birthday if she would walk before her 1st. You know I won't let her forget that one! She has become quite proficient at pushing a chair and a little push cart around. I think it's just a matter of time, and not very much of it at that.

The one thing my VERY easy child doesn't do well is sleep. Night time sleep is from 8:30-7:30, usually waking once for a bottle but occasionally twice. Last night Ella decided she needed to be up at 2am. I eventually ended up asleep on her floor with her crawling around on me for a 1/2 hour. When I dumped the little charmer back in her crib she started screeching every time I tried to leave the room. My answer was to curl up on the floor where she could see me and doze off. I think that's the first time in over a month we've had a night like that though.

One of her favorite activities consists of her taking a book off one of her shelves, opening it, babbling as she turns the pages, dropping it, then moving on to the next one. She'll almost empty all her shelves before she gets bored. Sometimes I'll catch her lying on her back with an open book (often upside down) at arms length "talking" away.

No comments: