Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Baby Sign

Last night Ella and I started Sign2Me classes. I was so excited that I was able to register on the 1st day of class, Tuesday the 6th. When I got there I realized that it was the 4th class. They started Tuesday, Febuary 6th, not March 6th. Isn't sleep deprivation a funny thing? The instructor was sick last week so we've only missed 3 of the 6 classes but she let us join and is going to do some makeup sessions with us. There were other children ranging from about 8-18 months. Ella was the youngest but by no means the smallest. I would imagine some of the parents were wondering about my daughter's "developmental delays" since she was larger than some of the children who were walking.

Ella spent the first hour quietly sitting very close to me just watching the other children. During the last 15 minutes an 8 month old came up and kept touching Ella's face. Ella quickly reciprocated and from that point on all bets were off. She began to screech, coo, and try to catch the eye of anyone who looked her way. She wouldn't stop smiling.

It seems that babies start recognizing signs at 6 months and by 1 year can communicate some basic ones. Last night we learned all sorts of useful words. We learned diaper, change, cat, dog, duck, bird, horse, dog, fish, wake up, please, milk, juice, more, hurts, up, down and a quite a few more that escape me at the moment.

For those of you interested there is a show PBS offers called Signing Time. You can check it out!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one whose brain doesn't work well!